Sunday, March 13, 2011

U.S. Life on Mars, episodes 6 & 10

Leaving the computer open as I watch television means that I end up taking notes as I go along.  I'd like to say that they're highly academic observations as to the foreshadowing of the ending, but what's that they say about the best laid plans?  Here are my notes on episodes six and ten of the U.S. Life on Mars:

 
Episode 6:

No Windy.  This isn’t a bad thing.  I miss Nelson.  

Love the Moonwalking gag.  Sam’s earned the nickname Spaceman – another clue?  

 Aside from that and a change of setting from a news office to a hospital, this episode seems almost exactly like one from the original first series – despite the fact that there were elements in the episode prior to this that were lifted from an episode in the original second series...

Okay, scratch that, bad guy’s motives have totally changed from the original.

Episode 10:

Is that Kate from White Collar there?

Plot’s starting to diverge from the original by now.  This isn’t a bad thing – stories that work in 1973 Manchester may not always work in 1973 NYC.  Although I’m not sure I’m a fan of the idea of Gene Hunt having a daughter.  Seems like one too many bad fanfics has come to life with that one.

Oops.  Kate’s been abducted by aliens. 

The “Paranormal” division of the FBI?!?!  Seriously?  I don’t know whether to facepalm or giggle with the thought of nostalgia (says she who just rewatched eight seasons of the X-Files not even a month ago…).

Three daughters, Hunt? *sigh*  Veering into badfic territory here.

Ooh, “Starman”.  I love that song.

*points* St. Christopher medal!  The Sam in the original series had one of these, never pointed out but we all knew he had one, so it’s nice to see it make a return here.

No comments:

Post a Comment