Sunday, March 13, 2011

Knight Life, Update 3

I have a tendency to use my books for storage.  Often times I'll shove pamphlets or little bits of paper in there, usually with little scribbled notes on them.  So I shouldn't have been surprised to find this in my copy of Knight Life:

I'm pretty sure this business card has something to do with a midnight showing of Rocky Horror about seven years back.  Even if this wasn't in the book to begin with, it makes a strange sort of sense, as one of the girls I went to that show with was the one who told me about this book in the first place.  I'll talk more about Ayesha when I get to the Discworld Series, as she's the one who enlightened me about the great Terry Pratchett in the first place.  Twenty-four books later, not counting the great Good Omens, yeah, it's safe to say I've become a fangirl.

Anyway, back to Knight Life.  I'm currently on page 216, and still struggling.  It's the female characters that are doing me in, I think.  Arthur's great as a man who's out of his time and attempting to adapt to a modern world, and the youthful Merlin is great.  Merlin's always been one of my favorite characters in the Arthurian mythos, so I end up feeling a bit proprietary towards him.  But Morgana and Gwen...Morgana seems one-dimensionally villainous so I have a hard time feeling any sort of sympathy towards her.  As the website TV Tropes says (which I am not linking to for the readers' sanity.  If you want to search it out, on your own head be it.  You will lose days to that website, I guarantee) she's doing it "For the Evulz."  I feel like I want a little more motivation from her in a modern work.  A one-dimensional style character may work in a fairy tale, but not as much in a modern novel.

And Gwen.  Oh, Gwen's trying, I think, but she still frustrates me.  Currently she's swooned in the middle of a fancy dinner.  But still, I will persevere.

No comments:

Post a Comment